The Bear & Bells

A public house in Market Square
providing food, drink and entertainment.

Make A Booking Sunday Lunch Menu

History of The Bear and Bells

The Bear and Bells is steeped in history. The building has been a supported licensed premises since 1620. Situated in the Old Market in the heart of Beccles, which was the setting for many travelling show and even the sale of cattle and livestock.

The first landlord recorded dates back to 1823, his name was James Lawes. Although the pub wasn’t named “The Bear” until 1865. There is some speculation that there may have been two pubs on the site “The Bear” and “The Bell” hence the name “The Bear & Bells”.

We have had some lovely stories from customers reminiscing about things that have occurred at the pub throughout the years. Including a lady who said she remembered being in the back room, now our restaurant/function room, when she was a little girl as her Father worked in there as a printer.

A lot of people have told stories of the boxing club that used to be held in the back room in the 1960s. The building has been Grade 2 listed since 1971 and we are sure there are many more stories about the pub to be told.

Please feel free to pop in and share any tales you may have about the history of the pub; we are all very keen to hear them.

Images of The Bear And Bells Credit Russell Walker

Image Description
Image Description
Image Description
Image Description